We emerged from 7-11 men
on a mission. Piling into our taxis we
sped off into downtown Oslo in silence, somberly nursing our hangovers and
begrudgingly admitting defeat in the search of that elusive Norwegian metro. The
taxi ride took what seemed like an eternity.
The marathon had shut down roads and forced our confused cabby to take
alternate routes. When we finally
arrived at the hostel, we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the
hostel. We were greeted by sleek black and white modern furnishings, a fully
stocked bar (at which no one could even muster a good look at that time) and a
fully staffed reception desk. Our brief
euphoria was suddenly shattered with the realization that we would not actually
be able to check in until 3 hours later, but, as we decided, we would leave our
bags locked with the hostel and we would go explore the city that was beckoning
to us outside the rain-streaked windows of the hostel lobby.
Once at the metro (yes,
we actually found it on the hostel-end) we bought our 24-hour passes and were
ready to go. Except we weren’t. Our
group of 12 was like a pack of ADD 9 year olds.
When 10 of us may have been ready, 2 were wandering into the convenience
store. Once those 2 returned and were
ready to go, someone wanted to take pictures of the scenic underground metro
station. When that was over, someone lost their phone and we all had to join in
the search. FINALLY, we were ready to go
and we submerged ourselves in the underground labyrinth that was the path to
our far-off metro platform.
This next segment was the
part of the trip that will haunt me most forever. Walking through the tunnels I remember myself
commenting, “I’m surprised how clean these tunnels are. I haven’t seen any
puddles of homeless-man piss on the ground, or piles of trash in the corner.” These words were barely out of my mouth; they
had just seen the light of day, fresh from my noggin; they were still hanging
in the air when we turned the corner and quite literally stumbled upon the most
shockingly horrifying sight I have ever beheld.
There, squatting on the ground, needle in arm, was a man shooting up
heroine. We sprinted past him, some of
us close to jumping right over him and hustled through that labyrinth which
suddenly became a scary, scary place until we reached the platform and simply stared
at each other in utter disbelief of the sight we had just witnessed.
When we managed to regain
our composure, we stumbled onto the train and traveled the 3 stops to the city
center, whose stop was, guess what, called “city-center.” With no plan and
almost three hours to kill we wandered the streets stopping in stores when we
felt and taking pictures along the way.
It was actually quite nice coming to an intersection, looking each way
and deciding on a whim which direction we thought would prove to be most
interesting. Eventually I found my
obligatory elephant (I buy a small elephant figurine in every country I visit)
and I could officially call my visit to Norway a success, no matter what was to
happen. We ended up finding an outdoor
food market where we each grabbed some samples and a snack and by then it was time
to head back to our hostel.
Back at the hostel, we
checked in and each room-group silently retreated into our respective suites
and when I say we all took naps I mean we slept as if our lives depended on it,
because at that point, we legitimately thought they did.
No comments:
Post a Comment